Open Space Technology (OST)
Open Space Technology was developed by Harrison Owen. It is a self-organizing process for decision making. OST operates with a simple set of guidelines.
1. The law of two feet (two footprints graphic): If you find yourself in a situation where you are neither learning or contributing, move somewhere where you can. This is a law like the Law of Gravity. You can choose to notice it or not, but it's safer just to notice it.
2. The four principles:
- Whoever comes is the right people,
- whatever happens is the only thing that could have,
- when it starts is the right time,
- when it's over it's over.
These aren't prescriptive, they are the results of thousands of little experiements.